June 29, 2023
As a developer and manufacturer of power generating and industrial systems, as well as marine electrical systems, Nishishiba will contribute to the well-being of customers and society by providing environmentally conscious products and services.
Moreover, given our close proximity to the rich and beautiful inland sea and world Heritage site of Himeji Castle, and our belief in the Toshiba Group Policy of "Committed to People, Committed to the Future", we shall proactively promote our environmental preservation activities according to the following policies to help build sustainable societies through environmental activities aimed at creating carbon-free communities, with recycling-oriented cultures, in a world in harmony with nature.
- We shall position environmental initiatives as one of the top-priority issues of our business operations, and shall develop proactive environmental preservation policies and measures.
- (1) We shall make continuous reforms and improvements to our environmental management system to improve our environmental performance.
- (2) We shall assess the effects of our business activities, products and services (including generator installation, construction work, and adjustment tests performed outside factory grounds) on the environment, including biodiversity, and shall carry out environmental activities with specific objectives and goals for reduction of environmental impact, prevention of pollution, etc.
- (3) In addition to observing environmental conservation laws and regulations and the environmental conservation requirements of business partners, we shall set and adhere to our own standards that are even stricter than the legal and regulatory standards.
- (4) All personnel of our group companies and affiliates shall engage in environmental conservation activities.
- We shall engage in the following environmentally conscious activities in our business operations and endeavor to reduce our environmental impact.
- (1) Reduction of CO2 emissions through reduction of electricity, gas, oil and other resources used for manufacturing equipment and power supply equipment, etc.
- (2) Reduction of the amount of specific chemicals released into the air and water.
- (3) Maintenance of zero emission efforts and reduction of the total amount of waste.
- We shall engage in environmentally conscious activities from the development and design stages, and provide environmentally conscious products and systems.
- (1) Reduction of CO2 emissions through improvement of energy efficiency and reduction of electrical energy consumption.
- (2) Reduction of resource consumption through size and weight reductions.
- (3) Facilitation of easy re-use and recycling through modularization and improvement in ease of disassembly.
- (4) Reduction and replacement of specified chemicals through adherence to the Green Procurement guidelines.
- We shall contribute to society through environmental activities conducted in collaboration with local communities.
- (1) Conducting active information disclosure and communication to promote mutual understanding.
- (2) Cooperation in planning and conduct of local community environmental activities.
Director，President and Chief Executive Officer
NISHISHIBA ELECTRIC CO., LTD.
ISO14001 registration certificate
Click image to enlarge.
Examples of Environmentally Conscious Products
Power generating System Controller
Nishishiba has been producing various controllers over the years, but we have now developed a new type of integrated controller that enables updating and expansion from conventional controllers. This means that long-term stable supply can be assured, with little influence from subsequent model changes.
Development of Miniaturized 2P Motor for Compressors on LNG Tankers
- Through miniaturization, we have achieved equal footing with major competitors.
- The weight of the L/D Comp. motor is reduced by 37%.
Capacity expansion of Electric propulsion system and Shaft driven generating system
We have been carrying out production and delivery of various systems that contribute to energy conservation on ships, including electrical propulsion and shaft generators, and shaft generator systems with electrical propulsion. We are continuing to expand our range of machine models and further expand capacity (6000-kW class) to meet market needs.
By improving the design and cooling of land-based emergency generators, we have developed lighter generators that require fewer materials. We have cut the total amount of materials needed for manufacturing by 5% compared with conventional generators of the same capacity. (Single-bearing model and double-bearing model)
Standard medium-size diesel generators for ships
By improving the design and manufacturing methods of standard medium-size diesel generators for ships, we have developed lighter generators that require fewer materials. We have cut the total amount of materials needed for manufacturing by 10% compared with conventional generators of the same capacity. (Single-bearing model)
High-performance digital AVR
We have reduced both weight and volume compared with conventional models.
(weight cut by 64.9%, volume cut by 62.9%)
By using RoHS compliant electronic components, we have also reduced the amount of specific chemicals.
Inverter-type electric vibration balancer
There is increasing need for balancers (vibration compensators) that can eliminate vibrations from propulsion engines on ships, in order to create a more comfortable on-board accommodation environment.
Our previous balancers utilized electromagnetic couplings and uniform rate motors, but for our latest models, we adopted a new system that regulates motor revolution speed, thereby greatly reducing size and weight (weight of main unit reduced by 39%) and also reducing power consumption by 46%.
Case Study of System that Helps the Environment
Lithium Ion Battery Type Super Hybrid Propulsion System
System merits (merits for ships)
- Evolving to zero CO2 emissions while in harbor
- Avoid low-load operation of main engines while navigating in harbor
- Improve accommodation environment while at anchor and while navigating in harbor
- Reduce work load of crew while at anchor and while on short navigating
- Reduce operating time of generators and main engines
On February 27, 2019, the UTASHIMA* was commissioned the first steel-hull domestic coastal cargo ship that uses a hybrid propulsion system, which is equipped with lithium ion batteries, charging equipment, and electric propulsion motor/shaft generator produced by Nishishiba.
This system features lithium ion batteries that are charged using the electricity generated in the high-efficiency range of the main engine, normally while navigating, this stored energy is used for short navigating, such as while in harbor, without running the main engine.
- * Shipowner: Mukaishima Dock Yard Co., Ltd., Ship operator: NS United Kaiun Kaisha, Ltd.
[Awards for this system]
The Japan Electrical Manufacturers' Association
2020 (69th) JEMA Award for Electrical manufacturing achievement, Power & Industrial Fields (JEMA Silver Award)
"Super Hybrid Propulsion System Equipped with Lithium Ion Batteries"
- * Example described gives one example and is not a guarantee of across the board performance of the system.
Toshiba Group Excellent ECP certified products
Products that comply with the ECP standards (Toshiba environmental quality) and achieve No.1 ranking for main environmental performance at the time of release.
Electric propulsion system
- Inverter control systems, generators, propulsion motors
- Resource-saving (floor space: 2.1 m² → 1.7 m²) Mass (2.0 ton → 1.5 ton)
- Energy conservation (20% fuel efficiency improvement)
“Only one” products that reduce the number of generators required for starting to just one.
A new window will be launched when you click a link with the left icon.